Where in the World...

Where in the World...

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

bush rat tastes like jerky...

I recently had the pleasure (although, not so pleasant...) of trying "agouti" aka - bushrat. Which is a large rat-ish animal hunted out in the bush. Some volunteers have raved about the deliciousness of this meat; however, I cannot attest to that. The place where I had it (with fufu), it was very jerky-ish in texture and not-so-scrumptious in flavor. But then again, it doesn't look too pleasant or like anything you'd ever want to get near enough to have to kill it, let alone eat it.

But, I will give it another chance...


1 comment:

Michael Hotard said...

horse tastes like roast beef

Moringa

Moringa is a plant that contains essential vitamins and minerals often lacking in the Togolese diet. The tree can be used in a variety of ways to treat problems of malnutrition and water-borne illness. The leaves of the tree can be eaten or dried and crushed into a powder that can be added to sauces or sprinkled on top of any dish; the seeds of the plant can be turned into cooking oil as well as used to purify water. To illustrate the advantage of this plant: the leaves of a moringa tree contain seven times the vitamin C than one orange, four times the Vitamin A than a serving of carrots, four times the calcium contained on one glass of milk, three times the potassium than one banana, and two times the protein contained in one serving of yogurt! Moringa Fest was an event that I participated in that was planned by a Peace Corps volunteer in a village called Notse. The PCV has been completing a two year promotional initiative on the benefits of incorporating moringa into the Togolese diet.

Random Photo Update

Camp UNITE 2009

2009 Vacation to Ghana

Photos from Atakpame

Photos from Training in Agou Akoumawou