Where in the World...

Where in the World...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Close-Of-Service Conference

This past week, my training group (both Girls' Education and Empowerment and Natural Resource Management volunteers) had its "COS Conference." The acronym "COS" refers to our "Closing of Service," so, when we officially finish our 27 month service with Peace Corps. The conference is geared towards preparing us for life after Peace Corps (i.e., resume writing, interviewing skills, job searchs, reverse culture shock, and looking back on our service).

This was the first time that our entire group had been together since we swore in 2 years ago. However, we have lost quite a few people between the two points. Our group started at 31 people (15 GEE and 16 NRM); we are now at 17 (8 GEE and 9 NRM).
The photo to the right is the 8 remaining GEE volunteers from the 2008-2010 group. Left to Right: James Gurney, Katrina Sison, Sekou Sidibe, Drew Quinton, Emily Malkin, Jessica Trega, Jocelyn Friedman, and Kara Harvey.
And while it was fun seeing everyone, another highlight of the conference was choosing our COS dates!

I will officially be COSing on December 3rd! Of course, that's not when I'll be home, that's the date that I'll be leaving Togo. I've also decided to travel after I leave Togo; I will be going to Indonesia for 10 days between Togo and America (I realize it's not exactly on the way but I'm willing to overlook that fact for a few days in paradise). If anyone is interested in where I'll be going, you can check out the following websites:


I will let everyone know exactly what date I'll be home when I figure it all out. :-) But, the end is in sight and I can't wait to see my family and friends in 3 months!!!


GEE/NRM Togo Volunteers 2008-2010
-k

No comments:

Moringa

Moringa is a plant that contains essential vitamins and minerals often lacking in the Togolese diet. The tree can be used in a variety of ways to treat problems of malnutrition and water-borne illness. The leaves of the tree can be eaten or dried and crushed into a powder that can be added to sauces or sprinkled on top of any dish; the seeds of the plant can be turned into cooking oil as well as used to purify water. To illustrate the advantage of this plant: the leaves of a moringa tree contain seven times the vitamin C than one orange, four times the Vitamin A than a serving of carrots, four times the calcium contained on one glass of milk, three times the potassium than one banana, and two times the protein contained in one serving of yogurt! Moringa Fest was an event that I participated in that was planned by a Peace Corps volunteer in a village called Notse. The PCV has been completing a two year promotional initiative on the benefits of incorporating moringa into the Togolese diet.

Random Photo Update

Camp UNITE 2009

2009 Vacation to Ghana

Photos from Atakpame

Photos from Training in Agou Akoumawou